Moseley School - A Birmingham Gem!

Moseley School is situated on Wake Green Road, in Moseley, Birmingham. The red brick building built in 1855-56 as the Spring Hill Congregational College. A school since 1923.


Moseley School is located on Wake Green Road in Moseley, Birmingham. There is also entrances on College Road and Springfield Road.

Moseley SchoolMoseley School from Wake Green Road (September 2013). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

Moseley School and Sixth Form was formed in 1974 by the merger of Moseley Grammar School (established in 1939 at Wake Green Road) and Moseley Modern School (established in 1955 on College Road). Birmingham City Council opened a Moseley Secondary School here from 1923. Before that the red brick building opened in 1857 as the Spring Hill Congregational College. But they later moved to Oxford in 1886 (becoming Mansfield College, which is now part of the University of Oxford). After that the red brick building was used as Pine Dell Hydropathic Establishment and Moseley Botanical Gardens (which required the building of a swimming bath). During WW1 the building was used as military barracks for the War Office. It returned to educational use in 1921.

 

Gate A and Gate B are located on the Wake Green Road.

Gate A Moseley SchoolGate A at Moseley School from Wake Green Road (April 2020). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

While Gate C is located on College Road, and Gate D on Springfield Road.

Gate D Moseley SchoolGate D at Moseley School from Springfield Road (March 2021). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

The sports field on Wake Green Road is used by Attock Cricket Club.

Attock Cricket Club Moseley SchoolAttock Cricket Club at Moseley School from Wake Green Road (April 2020). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

The History of Spring Hill Congregational College

Spring Hill College was originally based at Spring Hill in Hockley, Birmingham, in a private house, it opened in 1838 as a training college for Congregational ministers under George Storer Mansfield (1764–1837) and his two sisters. The college moved to Wake Green Road in Moseley in 1857. The building was built to the designs of Joseph James during 1855 and 1856, in an ambitious Decorated style. The College has a main hall, library and cloister. The main range had an axial tower with corner turrets. Made of red brick and stone detailings.

Spring Hill College MoseleySpring Hill College, Moseley, Birmingham. Engraving from Wilkinson Collection Vol. 1. Public Domain. Birmingham Museums Trust Digital Image Resource.

 

In 1886 the college moved to Oxford and became Mansfield College (now part of the University of Oxford). The building is now a Grade II listed building. After they moved out, the building became Pine Dell Hydropathic Establishment and Moseley Botanical Gardens, and was used during the First World War as barracks for the War Office. In 1921 it returned to educational use as Springfield College.

Moseley SchoolMoseley School near Gate A, Wake Green Road (April 2020). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

History of Moseley School

Birmingham City Council opened Moseley Secondary School on this site in 1923. It was for boys only. In 1939 it became Moseley Grammar School, based near Wake Green Road. The Council opened a separate school in 1955 on College Road called Moseley Secondary Modern School. The main school building was granted Grade II listed status in 1972. The two schools merged into one school under the name Moseley School in 1974. The school was rebuilt with the demolition of the former Modern School in 2013, and new buildings were opened in the same year by the then Lord Mayor of Birmingham. It was renamed again around 2015 to Moseley School and Sixth Form.

Moseley SchoolMoseley School from the bus on Shaftmoor Lane (June 2019). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

Contact Details

Moseley School and Sixth Form

Wake Green Road

Moseley

Birmingham

B13 9UU

0121 566 6444

Project dates

21 Mar 2021 - On-going

Passions

History & heritage, Education, Classic Architecture

Contact

(for further information)

Admin FreeTimePays

0121 410 5520
Admin@ FreeTimePays.com